"Dear Prudence" by Amanda Grieme

Monday, August 9, 2010

Dear Jim...Crush

3/13 - Crush

Dear Jim -

I always felt so strange calling you by your first name. I respected you so much as a poet, and as my professor. Jim, I cannot believe that it was 8 years ago that you skipped town and I never had the chance to bid you a proper farewell. I just want to thank you for trusting me as a writer. Your influence and recognition of my work meant so much; I hadn’t an ounce of confidence before your acknowledgment.

The shape of your face is fleeting, washed in medicine, like this memory
I have of you and beautiful Sarah, the girl you were dating. I remember walking briskly at twilight on Main Street next to the Coffee Shop, looking down at my sandals, and looking up only to make eye contact with you and Sarah in perpetual motion; Fu Lay Chinese neon light hung in her blonde curls. “Hi Ana” you said breezily, and rushed by with an aromatic pizza in your hands. Startled , I looked back, and you were wearing battered Vans sneakers. I loved that! You brought the essence of your California with you to northeast academia. Your eccentricity was welcome, in addition to your Irish blue eyes and messy brown locks. Jim, thanks for holding my attention, and paying me respect.

Fondly, on fragile knees ...Ana

Ana's Download of the Day - (As per Frank's suggestion) "Terror Twilight" by PAVEMENT (California Musical Perfection in Honor of Jim)

No comments:

Post a Comment